05 January 2008

New Years

Maybe staying home alone on New Years wasn’t the best idea…

But I wasn’t in the mood to be social, and besides, I don’t really get what the big deal with New Years is anyway. So I choose to be reclusive, enjoying a night to be in my apt. and chill, opting instead to watch a movie and ring in the new year with good dreams.

Things don’t always happen as they should.

The movie I watched made me cry, setting me into a bad mood as I have no energy these days and don’t enjoy crying at sappy movies anyway. But I should have known it was a bad idea to watch a movie I knew someone died in, given I had nearly cried at a MTV show the day before.

No joke.

So I did what any logical person would do, I called my parents, I regretted the decision immediately but since the phone was already ringing I knew my father would just call me back and then I’d have to explain why I hung up. So I waited. My dad picked up and we chatted for a moments. He was generally concerned with my decision to be alone on New Years, but I tried to subdue his worries as best I could. Chalking it all up to the fact that I am an independent woman and didn’t want to travel home alone at 2am. This seemed to pacify him, though I could still see him with visions of me sitting alone with empty ice cream cartons strewn about. I decided to move on. I asked for my mother and began an annoyed conversation with her telling me I need to make friends, and my crying I don’t know how, all the while wondering why I called in the first place.

I hung up and called my friend. She was driving to a New Years party at the house of the boy she’s gone on dates with. We got disconnected several times before she admitted she was stuck in a snow bank outside the boy’s home and had been spinning her tires for the last ten minutes. I told her to stop, listing off the disadvantages of spinning her tires and we worked to try conjure up a way for her to become unstuck that did not include going inside and asking for help. Unfortunately her car did not have any spare cardboard to speak of, or a shovel to help her dig. The conversation of my telling her to go inside and her finding any other way out lasted for about a half hour, then Rachel relented and walked to the door.

Realizing I was only moments away from 2008 I scratched my original idea of slumber at midnight and called my best friend. She answered on the second ring, her voice hoarse, her nose running.

“Are you feeling any better?” I asked. My best friend, no one for giving short answers, launched into a story about how, yes, she was feeling better, but she had mysteriously developed a rash on the left side her body. She had noticed it the day before, while playing with her two children. Well she had discovered it by ramming her hip into the corner of her desk and when she went to check for purple skin discovered pink bumps instead. By bedtime she realized the rash had spread to her hand. She studied her right hand wondering if it really was the size of a football as she imagined. Then she paused, should she call someone to call her in the morning? After all, she had no idea what the rash was, and for all she knew it could poisoniness and as soon as she slept she’d slip into a comma, and her three year old would come in and attempt to wake her to no avail. The kids would spend the day forging for themselves while she was knocked out on the bed, no one the wiser. Finally she decided that was silly and went to bed, grateful when she awoke early the next morning.

But it did not stop there. While attempting to get her son clean with a shower she found a black widow on one of his toys. Unsure of her discovery she trapped the spider in a glass bottle, carefully cutting out air holes, and put it on her husband’s workbench. Concerned her rash could actually be the consequence of being bitten the day before she called her brother-in-law who rushed over and confirmed that yes, the spider was a black widow, but he did not believe she had been bit. Just to be sure my best friend got a sitter and trekked off to the doctor, spider in hand. The nurse confirmed her ailment was not spider induced and sent her home, recommending cough syrup.

So my friend had survived the day, the swell from the rash subsided, her spider safely on her husband’s workbench for further examination when he returned from his trip out of town.

Hanging up from our conversation I began to realize that maybe a quiet night alone could be seen as a blessing and slowly made my bed.

No comments: